Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

"Mama you are so strong"

I sat in awe as I heard the horrific story of how the Mama in front of me came to lose her hearing. She fumbled beneath her scarf to point out the rugged scar on the side of her head where the bullet had entered, and bravely told me the story of how the gunman, her own husband, had pulled the trigger. First aimed at her, then at each of her children, and finally at himself.

"Mama you are so strong"

The physical scar is quite something, and I thought it a miracle that she is still alive, but what gripped my heart was the strength and determination that is getting her through each day. She beamed with thankfulness at each small action that was taken to help her- from removing impacted wax to rescheduling her different appointments for the same day to avoid multiple trips to the hospital. I'm thankful that I got to meet this lady. I'm thankful that audiology services are made accessible to her because of community services, and I'm thankful that I get to play a small role in giving back a part of what was taken from her on that day. The social situation that many of our patients find themselves in makes one consider what we actually have to complain about.

No comments:

Post a Comment